Friday 14 December 2007

New Zealand: Week Six

The end of my travels round New Zealand. In the most part, a very chilled out week, involving, amongst other exciting activities, trying to beat my record of how many cups of tea I can drink in a day. I lost count, but it was more than my record in England as the tea here is not the strongest. Had an interesting altercation with a street musician where he threatened to take our cameras from us if we didn't put a dollar in his silly little hat. He thought we were taking photos of him, but he didn't seem to realise (or perhaps had been there so long that he'd forgotten) he was standing in front of the Cathedral and was therefore bound to be in the photo. Later on we saw him being taunted by a group of local New Zealand neds so all was at peace with the world.

There aren't many people left from the Stray Bus in Christchurch now, they've either gone back home, or the majority have moved on to Sydney. Quite strange not having a load of people around. Really looking forward to meeting up with them in Sydney over Christmas and New Year. Still planning the route I'm going to take in Australia. Any suggestions will be most welcome! I fly into Sydney, and out of Cairns three months later, and would like to visit both coasts as well as Uluru. Thinking about taking a road trip from Sydney to Adelaide over about three weeks with some people from the Stray Bus, plus any other random people we pick up on the way.

On a side note, I don't know if anyone is reading this blog any more apart from my family, who are likely to reading more out of obligation, which I appreciate nonetheless! Without sounding overly desperate, it would be great to hear from you guys, even if it's to tell me you no longer wish to read it!

So, next stop Australia, home of the Drop Bears...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You have to make is to Fraser Island and the Whitsundays! Townsville is certainly worth a day or two, apparently its better/cheaper for learning to dive than Cairns it also has a very good aquarium and a brewery...

Lame Dave said...

I'm reading! Keep up the blogging. Travelling round with random people sounds like fun.

I know people who've actually been to Australia who were convinced that drop-bears were real.

Unknown said...

I'm still reading!!

I'm not sure I'd try to do both coasts in the time you have. There's at least 6 weeks worth of stuff to do up the east coast, and that's before you factor in Uluru! You'd be surprised how it adds up....

E.g. 3 night camping trip at Uluru - day 1 fly to Alice, day 2 start trip, day 2 and 3 on trip, day 4 get back stay over night, day 5 back to Sydney. Almost one week doing one thing. The same applies to Whitsunday sailing and Fraser Island. That's three weeks without any travel time in between!!

Corinne said...

I'm reading!!! Don't stop blogging hon - it's fascinating stuff :-)
Can't tell you how jealous I am as it's very cold and not at all exotic or exciting here at the moment. You'll be a changed man by the end of it all I reckon - experiences like that shape who you are I think.
Anyway, enough philosophical crap; just keep the blogs a-comin' xxx