Friday 2 November 2007

Last days in Fiji

So Beachcomber was a bit of a write-off. I think if I'd been in a group, everyone wasn't already completely hammered, the guy next to me didn't snore like a walrus being electrocuted, and there wasn't sick everywhere, I probably would have stayed. I only suffered one night and hopped over to Bounty Island. Totally different to Beachcomber in every way. Perhaps a little too quiet, and I wasn't sure how I was going to fill the three days. It turned out quite well. I was approached by a BBC crew on the island filming for a south Pacific documentary to be shown in 2009 who required extras to be members of a boat crew stranded on an island about 200 years ago. It was such a laugh! We had to have fake beards and everything! First night we had to film a camp fire scene on the beach. Second day involved some serious boat rowing, for about 6 hours. When you eventually see the programme, I'm oarsmen #3 and beachcrawler#1 nearest camera. Not sure if we'll make the credits though. The rest of the time I spent lounging on the beach, and to be honest, I'd had enough of beaches by then. Spent the last night in Nadi, at Smuggler's Cove, which was actually pretty good for main land Fiji. West coast of Fiji isn't great for beaches. Best places on the mainland are along the south east coast, but I didn't make it as far as that.

I really enjoyed my time on Fiji. The people who worked there and the visitors (for the main part) were really friendly, and will probably try and meet up with them later in my travels.

Next stop New Zealand!

2 comments:

emmanddee said...

Fiji sounded really good fun - obviously your visit to Hollywood and Universal Studios paid dividends in the stardom stakes! Move over Tom Hanks! Shame about Beachcomber but it's all part of the backpacking experience I suppose. Look forward to reading next instalment.

Unknown said...

Hey Man, this all sounds great! Well, all appart from the sick n stuff.
I hope NZ is working out for you. If you meet someone called Nick Lymer, say Hi for me - I hear it's a small place ;-)

Bring me back a cow!