Monday 29 October 2007

Stop! It's Fiji time!

Bula from Fiji! On my third island already, Beachcomber, the so-called party island. Spent two nights on Mana Island at the Ratu Kini hostel, right on the beach. Fairly basic but pretty good food, and great bunch of people. Stunning beaches and marine life, and lots of chilling out. Not much to do, but that isn't the point. The hostel's dorms were in the same area as the local village, which made it feel a little less like a tourist hostel. Most people on the island worked for one of the two hostels, or hotel on the island. We stayed up to watch the sunset, which waa definitely worth it. The last two nights I stayed at Walu Beach resort which was only about 5 pounds more but we actually had single beds, and shared a bathroom with only 3 other people. Total luxury! We went out kayaking yesterday to a nearby island and saw some really interesting and freaky sea creatures, the chunky sea slugs especially. I experienced Kava for the first time two nights ago, pretty rough, although it was better than the Brooklyn Lager. It was only a third of the strength of normal kava, but still managed to have an effect, which made you a little drowsy. The main effect, however, was to prevent me from going more than 10 metres from the toilet the next day.

Beachcomber has a totally different vibe to it. Average age seems about 18 and the aim to remain as hammered as possible for the entire time. Hmmm, think I'm getting old! I'm only here for two nights anyway, so I'm sure I can suffer it! After this island, I'm off to Bounty Island for two nights, then off to New Zealand. Can't believe how quickly the time has gone and how much stuff I've done. I think because I've been doing so many things and meeting so many people, it feels like I've been traveling a lot longer than I have.

I keep thinking about coming back home and it really depresses me. I never want to work again!

Anyway, I'm off to learn the Bula dance...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seriously - stop thinking about home already!!

Can't believe you hate Beachcomber.... I stayed in one of the Bures and had to listen to a girl throwing up all morning - that's the spice of life!!

Have you done the international crab racing yet? On a final note - if you can't beat em, join em!